Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My husband is not white...

Dear all major greeting card companies,

I am apart of a pretty significant community of people. They are all over the world, they are of all ages, and most importantly they are of ALL races. I am the wife of just one of many many many interracial couples. Here's the thing, you don't have any cards to offer us. My husband and I will be celebrating our one year wedding anniversary this month. So naturally I have been keeping an eye out for the perfect card. As I have browsed through the thousands of cards that fill stores I see tons of beautiful cards expressing love. The picture of two hands holding, an illustration of a couple embracing each other, kissing each other, smiling, just all around showing love. But they do not fit us, my husband is not white. I am not black. Where is a card for us?

I understand there are many cards that just have words or illustrations of hearts and flowers and other symbols of love and romance. However, I am a photographer, and pictures express things so beautifully. They also look less cheesy than glittery hearts and stars. I want to be able to to have the option of purchasing a card with a black hand and a white hand intertwined. It's not just my couple combo either. Unless you are a just Caucasian couple, or a just African American couple, there isn't a card for you. I have never seen a card with an Asian bride and groom, or a Latino couple celebrating their anniversary. They simply do not exist and it's frustrating. I even looked on the Internet, and I did find more than I do in stores, (it only takes one card to do that) but nothing great. Nothing but cheesy and somewhat awkward cards that were definitely not worth ordering and paying shipping and handling for. There is that point too, why would I want to pay shipping and handling ON A CARD? Lame.

So I ask all of you huge wealthy greeting card companies, spend a little dough on the colorful couples. Give us a few lovely cards for every occasion that we can identify with, and I promise you they will not go unnoticed. Or un-purchased.


Best Regards and Wishing your Sales Team Luck for the Upcoming Holidays,

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment