Saturday, October 17, 2009

1 Year

I woke up before you this morning. This almost never happens, but I'm glad it did.
In the dim light of our bedroom you lay sleeping soundly next to me. Your deep steady breathing the only sound in the room. I looked at you and I took in this moment. There my husband was, with me, in OUR room, in OUR home. It still can bring me to tears to think about how blessed I have been and how our hopes are finally a reality. How I love you. How I love waking up to your kisses and your smell. How I love the way you laugh and tease, how you dance around when a song you love is playing, how you sing to me, how you crinkle your face when I sing to you, and how right now as I write this you are making both of us a delicious breakfast. I didn't even ask. You are a wonderful man, and a wonderful husband. The grace you have for me is hard to understand sometimes, Jesus definitely loves me through you.
There are so many many many things I could keep writing, but I will just finish with this.
This first year of our marriage has been the hardest, craziest, most exciting and wonderful year of my life. There is no one I could imagine beginning this journey with but you. So as I lay for the brief moment awake before you, I took your sleeping body in for my memory. So that when we are apart for months and months at a time in the coming years, when I will have to wake up alone and only speak to you through email, I will recall this morning. The morning of the anniversary of our first year of marriage, and all the mornings before it and all the mornings after. Forever and ever.

2 comments: